The main goals of the OEC dialogue group are:
- Exploring theological and cultural similarities and differences between the Orthodox and the Eastern Catholic churches.
- Exploring the history of the schism and relationship after the schism between these churches.
- Exploring political situation in the territories and lands in which these churches are located as well as the affects of the schism on this situation.
- Situating an encounter and dialogue between members of these churches.
- Preparing an official dialogue between these churches that should take part in form of the official bilateral commission (only to be initiated by the churches leaderships).